Re: RE: [long] Use of Unicode in AbiWord

From: Rick McGowan (rmcgowan@apple.com)
Date: Tue Mar 23 1999 - 17:36:21 EST

Chris Pratley wrote, about a thread that's some days old now regarding the
nonce Characters...

> Unfortunately, Rick, it is a little more real than that. The Hong Kong
> Government provides fonts and input methods for its "GCCS" private extension
> to Big5.

Ah, the first possible whiff of potential physical evidence I've ever heard.
 Can you actually produce the evidence? For instance, can you point me at a
governmental web page, and/or cite Hong Kong governmental publications
listing the precise character repertoire?

> Similarly, the Taiwan Government maintains its records in a private
> encoding system that has around 50000+ Han characters.

Great, now we're getting warm. You have documentary evidence of this one as well?

I was saying before that to my knowledge nobody has ever provided
_evidence_. Can you fax me a page of governmental documentation? I fear we
are still in the realm of "uncorroborated assertions made by Unicode insiders
and their buddies". I'd still like to see some factual evidence to which
I/we can point people as proof of the existence of such characters.

Until then I remain your,

        "Doubting Ricky"