Re: Hindi

From: Yung-Fong Tang (ftang@netscape.com)
Date: Thu Aug 12 1999 - 14:46:00 EDT

1. The online version of IS13194:1991 (SICII) could be found at Extracts from the
ISCII document available in PDF Format
http://www.cdac.org.in/html/gist/iscii91.pdf
2. ISCII is a character set standard, not a glyph code standard
3. About Glyph code, in Concepts and Articles on GIST Technology
it claim-
ISFOC Standard for fonts

 During the 1990's several companies developed digital fonts for Indian languages
 on Computers. They were typically limited to the respective state language and
 some kept it proprietary to prevent others from using their fonts with other
 applications. In this scenario it was a challenge to see a development of a large
 library of quality typefaces contributed by independent developers. CDAC took
 lead and evolved the character-slice(glyph) coding standards to ensure good
 appearance and aesthetics for which Indian scripts are famous for. Unlike ISCII,
 these code charts are different for each script and are represented in 8-bits
only.
 They are suitable for all GUI environments requiring bit-map fonts, Type-1 fonts
or
 True Type fonts.

 These ISFOC fonts have become the most liked Indian language fonts and users
 have started demanding for them in Indian language printing and publishing.
 There are several software vendors in India who have switched over to ISFOC
 coding scheme for their fonts for compatibility and wider acceptance. Web
 publishing is another area where they are gaining popularity. Users of CDAC
 products on Windows have these fonts already on the desktop and they don't even
 need to download the font if they wish to browse any such site using ISFOC fonts.
 More details are available on Web publishing on the CDAC Web site.

But I am not sure ISFOC is a standard from national standard view. Also, I cannot
find any publication / document about how ISFOC specification.
Contact : anupam@cdac.ernet.in (Anupam Saurabh) for more details (please cc me and
let him know I am also interest to know the details. Thanks)

You can download some ISFOC encoded font from from Download Info
(http://www.cdac.org.in/html/gist/gistform.htm ). As I undrstand, different Indic
font are packaged into different add-on package.