Re: bidi support for xterm

From: Rick McGowan (rmcgowan@apple.com)
Date: Mon Aug 16 1999 - 18:49:58 EDT

> I hope we can find a solution for xterm such that ls can remain fully
> ignorant with regard to the bidi properties of characters in filenames.

About ten years ago (in a galaxy far far away), I implemented an Arabic
terminal emulator under one of the old AT&T "blit" type multi-window
multiplexing terminals. We were using ASMO 449 encoding with a home-grown
implicit bidi algorithm. As I recall, no changes to any commands of Unix
System V were made to accommodate things; and it all just seemed to work.
The "ls" command didn't need to know.

There is a question, however, of global line direction in terminal emulation
-- whether your "ls -CF" listing starts on the right or left. It depends, I
think, on whether the main language is perceived as Arabic or not. Also
probably depends on particular contexts that are on-screen at any given time.

        Rick