Code Pages in Western Europe

From: Smj1800@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 09 1999 - 10:26:37 EDT

I am a Product Manager, for a small start-up company that is developing a
<US$3,500 Network Server, targeted for small-scale computing environments
(<200 clients). The server will support multi-protocol environments.

We are in the final stages of completing the Business Plan for the new
product. We are trying to determine what localization path to pursue,
Unicode or Code Pages for specific target languages (specifically German,
French and Spanish). We are thinking the code page combination of 850 and
437, should provide coverage for most of Europe.

Issue #1:

Our server will be designed such that, only one code page will be recognized,
and can only be set by the Network Administrator. We will not support
multiple code page environments. All clients must save files in the same
code page format that has been set on the server.

Are there any issues with this code page implementation?

Issue #2:

In other Western European languages, Portuguese for example, which requires
code pages 850 and 860, will we be able to support this language with Code
Page 850 only? Will lack of support for 860, present any problems?

Any comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.