RE: Vulgar fractions (was: 8859-1, 8859-15, 1252 and Euro)

From: Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 11:23:08 EST

Alain weote:
>That said, no need for a character for this, in particular in 8-bit
>character sets with limited coding space. One can very well write 1/2,
>275/300, and so on.

This reminds me of a thing I always wanted to know but were afraid to ask.

What is the intended rendering of U+2044 (FRACTION SLASH) in Unicode?

And what changes (if any) should it cause on sorrounding digits? (e.g.:
should the digits preceding the slash be superscript and the ones following
it subscript?)

I know that, because "Unicode encodes characters not glyphs", questions like
"how should be that character be displayed?" are always a problem, so I
don't necessarily want *the* answer, but I'll be happy also to receive
*some* subjective answers.

_ Marco