RE: Multibyte definition

From: Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 10:32:12 EST

> I agree totally with your descriptions of the types. However
> you seem to have missed the two points I was making: you
> can put any value you want into a wchar_t - after all, C
> and C++ permit such things.

That's true.

(Similarly, you can insert the "Unicode" character U+FFFF in a text file, or
insert smashed potatoes in the video recorder, as my son did recently :-)

> My other point was that the de facto usage of wchar_t is
> to store a Unicode character, and that one should be
> wary of any code that uses it for something else: it's a
> flag that perhaps other assumptions and unusual behaviors
> have been coded that conflict with good practices in
> internationalization.

Type wchar_t has been designed to ease using "wide" character sets having
more than 256 characters, such as Unicode and CJK national character sets
(e.g. JIS, GB, Big-5).

The first example I've ever seen of wchar.h and wchar_t was a JIS
implementation for the DJGPP complier (http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/).

> By the way, what's the size of a wchar_t on ICL kit?

I am afraid I never heard that before. Next coffee break I'll go down to
marketing dept and ask someone...

Ciao. Marco