Re: Developing multilingual web sites

From: Suzanne Topping (stopping@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 08:37:55 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Pratley <chrispr@MICROSOFT.com>

> First, I want to clarify that the "native encoding" of Windows2000 is
> Unicode. What you are referring to as "native encoding" is actually the
> emulated encoding, usually called the ANSI code page of the system. In
Hong
> Kong, this should be "Big5" encoding.

I wonder if this might give Aaron the wrong idea...

In my exposure to encoding topics, discussions, articles, etc. "native"
encoding is the term that is commonly used as a descriptor for encodings
other than Unicode.

While Unicode forms the basis of Windows 2000, calling it "native encoding"
may lead to confusion.