Re: Korean line breaking rules : Unicode 3.0 (p. 124)

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@pantheon.yale.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 15:14:03 EST

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Peter Constable wrote:

  Peter,

   Thank you for your reply.

> Would it help if, instead of,

> >In particular, word, line, and sentence boundaries will need
> >to be customized according to locale and user preference. In
> >Korean, for example, lines may be broken either at spaces(as
> >in Latin text) or on ideographic boundaries (as in Chinese).

> the text had the following?
>
> In particular, word, line and sentence boundaries will need to
> be customized according to user preference and locale. In a
> Korean locale, for example, lines break at spaces (as in Latin
> text) or on ideograph boundaries (as in Chinese).

  It's better, but as long as user preference is still there,
I'd rather not take Korean example (alone). I'd write something like this
if there's indeed a compelling need(I don't see much) to take examples
of line breaking rules depending on locales: (the following is prone to
have misleading information about Latin and Chinese line breaking rules
and I'll stand corrected if somebody with much more expertise on this
issue provides me with correction)

   In Latin text, for instance, lines may be broken at spaces and syllabic
   boundaries with hyphen. On the other hand, in traditional/classical
   Chinese text(where space is rarely used as a delimeter), lines break
   at any ideograph boundaries. Yet another example is provided by modern
   Korean text where lines may break at space as well as at syllabic
   boundaries, which is almost identical to rules for Latin text (except
   that syllabic boundaries can be rather easily determined in Korean
   text compared with Latin text). PLUS something about Thai text....

And, I'd try to come up with an example where user preference has room to
play in and write about it. Could Latin text with or without hyphenization
be a good example? I don't know, but it seems like it could.

    Jungshik Shin