Sequence of Base Characters and Diacritics?

From: Patrick Durusau (
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 09:39:40 EST

I am working on a project that requires the conversion of Hebrew text
from a transliteration text into Unicode. I have read the materials in
Unicode 2.0 on combining characters and sequences but I did not see it
address the issue of placement of the Hebrew Dagesh U+05BC with a base
character (that may have other diacriticals). The materials on stacking
multiple diacritics was clear on the ordering for diacritics above and
below a base character but I could not find an answer about ordering for
characters that appear in the base character. Answers? Pointers in the
right direction?

Many thanks!

Patrick Durusau
Society of Biblical Literature