Re: South Arabian Inscription Translation

From: Michael Everson (everson@egt.ie)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 03:44:28 EST

Dear Unicode List,

Here is an example of the kind of mail I get. Actually this one is really
very nice, because it is a genuine request for real information, not just
someone asking me to help them configure a tattoo in some archaic cool
script. (Don't laugh.) Anyway I don't know any ancient Semitic but if
anyone can help Tom, please write to him; his address is below. Reference:

http://www.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n1689/n1689.htm
N1689: Proposal to encode South Arabian in Plane 1 of ISO/IEC 10646

Ar 22:58 -0600 2000-03-25, scríobh Tom Saunders:
>Dear Mr. Everson:
>
>My name is Tom Saunders. Eight years ago I was working near Shabwa, Yemen.
>A Bedouin friend gave me a small (5.40cm x 6.35cm) stone (quartz like)
>relief carving of an ibex. Also on the stone are five symbols. He told me
>it was very old. Till now I didn't know what language or alphabet the
>symbols were from. From the Internet, I now know the inscriptions are
>South Arabian. Reading right to left they are as follows:
>
>U+0001xx11 SOUTH ARABIAN LETTER AYIN
>U+0001xx1B SOUTH ARABIAN LETTER TS
>U+0001xx14 SOUTH ARABIAN LETTER D
>U+0001xx09 SOUTH ARABIAN LETTER T
>U+0001xx08 SOUTH ARABIAN LETTER B
>
>I am very much interested in learning the probable translation of the
>inscription. I would very much appreciate any comments you might have
>about the translation, or what I would need to do to find the answer.
>Thank you.
>
>Tom Saunders
>sansaba@bluebon.net

Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169