Re: Layout of Unicode 3.0 book with FrameMaker

From: Timothy Partridge (timpart@perdix.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 16:17:59 EDT

Mark Davis recently said:

> Both of these conversions were *extremely* painful, and took many
> person-months to do -- far more than we anticipated. Ideally, FrameMaker
> would move to supporting Unicode, and we wouldn't have to convert again, but
> I don't know what Adobe's plans are (anyone have an idea?).

Surely you will still have some problems even if FrameMaker does support Unicode,
since it will be supporting the *current* version and you'll want to use
some characters that aren't there yet. (The Private Use Area is your
friend?)

   Tim

P.S. Completely off topic, but anyone who phones any of the following UK
cities needs to use a new number from 22nd April 2000.
London, Cardiff, Coventry, Portsmouth, Southampton and all of Northern
Ireland. The old numbers start 01 (or +44 1). The new ones start 02 (or
+44 2) with changes to the following digits. See www.bignumber.com
for more information.

--
Tim Partridge. Any opinions expressed are mine only and not those of my employer