Re: Dotless j (was RE: FW: ISO entity names)

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 10:15:09 EDT

Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com wrote:

> And SGML.TXT contains this line:
> >jnodot ISOamso 0x???? # latin small letter dotless j
>
> Anyone knows, or can imagine, the rationale for the existence of a dotless j
> in SGML?
> Is this a character actually used to spell some language (in this case,
> shouldn't it be in Unicode), or is it just a "presentation glyph" for when j
> carries a combining accent?

As far as anybody knows, it is just a glyph; nobody uses it as a character.
I would guess that it got there from AMS (American Math. Soc.) which
derived it from its presence in TeX, where it is provided as a glyph.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || http://www.reutershealth.com Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau, || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)