Browser share (was Re: Thanks)

From: Addison Phillips [GSC] (addison@globalsight.com)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 17:06:34 EDT

Brenden wrote:
> Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com wrote:
> > And what about other browsers? Have they all been wiped away?
>
> A quick browse of www.davecentral.com shows 8 pages of browsers for
> Windows. I have to concede that I haven't heard of most of them, although
> Opera is certainly among those that are pretty widespread.

As part of a B2C project I'm doing currently, I had the opportunity to
gather some statistics from some large Asian web sites. My results were:

IE5 = 35%
IE4 = 26%
NN4 = 26%
NN3 = 3%
All others (various and sundry) each about 1%. That list includes:

- "Mosaic", Spyglass, Opera, NN2, IE3, Tango, Notes R5 (which is IE4??)

These are averages, but they varied only slightly from site to site. Sites
included only Australian, Korean, Taiwanese, and Hong Kong domains. "1%"
values tend to look as if they were a single user or small group hitting the
site with a number of page requests. This is hardly scientific, but the lack
of variation from site to site was surprising (to me at least).

thanks,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Senior Globalization Consultant
Global Sight Corporation
mailto:addison@globalsight.com
(+1) 408.350.3600 - Telephone
http://www.globalsight.com
Going global with your web site? Global Sight provides Web-based software
solutions that simplify the process, cut costs, and save time.