UTF-16 or UTF-32 on Oracle 8

From: attilla ong (attillaong@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 17:27:45 EDT

Hi Folks,

  If this topic has already been beaten to death,
please direct me to the Oracle I18N expert that I know
is on the mailing list :-)

  We have initially plan to save our data as UTF-32.
We have opted for the simplicity over size of
database. We just installed Oracle but realize that it
supports only UTF-8 naturally (at least according to
its documentation).

  The question is whether Oracle8 supports UTF-32
natively without us having to coerce a character into
a 4-byte datatype. If not, what are the consequences
of insisting of storing an array of UTF-32 characters
as an array of 4-byte-datatype (or whatever it's

excerpt from Oracle 8's documentation:

"The Unicode character repertoire can be represented
in a number of different encoding formats. UCS-2 is a
two-byte fixed-width format, UTF-8 is a multi-byte
format with variable width. Oracle8 supports the
UTF-8 format only. UTF-8 is an ASCII-compatible
encoding scheme. The Oracle character set name for
Unicode 2.0 is "UTF8". Unicode 1.1 has been supported
with the Oracle character set name of "AL24UTFFSS"
since Oracle7"

Thank you.

Do You Yahoo!?