Re: ITA Characters

From: Michael Everson (everson@egt.ie)
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 08:23:33 EDT

Ar 16:56 -0800 2000-04-14, scríobh Steven Brent:
>I see that the non-romanic Shavian alphabet was accepted for inclusion in
>the surrogate areas. There is a link between the genesis of Pitman's ITA and
>Shaw's alphabet, although their purposes were distinct.

WG2 has not approved Shavian, and considering that it has hardly more
utility than the Phaistos disk, I wonder if they will. At least in the
short term.

There are a number of phonetic notations of various kinds. Possibly they
should be collected into a big bucket. As far as ITA is concerned, is there
a requirement to exchange data in it? Are people doing this now? Are there
fonts?

Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169