Re: Devanagari

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine.Leca@renault.fr)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 05:20:32 EDT

Tex Texin wrote:

> Looks like I need to learn a little Devanagari, enough to
> recognize characters, encoding issues, sorting, comparing,
> parsing issues,... the kinds of things a programmer runs into,
> especially when not using Unicode.
>
> Can anyone recommend good basic texts that cover either programming
> for Devanagari, or the initial elements for learning the language?

Hope you are using Win32...

Give a try to iLeap: <URL:http://www.cdac.org.in/html/gist/gistform.htm>
That is a basic text processor+publishing tool that handles the various
Indian scripts.

In the help menu it have a succinct but quite interesting introduction
to the various Indian scripts.

It uses ISCII internally, so reading ISCII (the URL have been posted
two days ago) is a good idea.

Be warned that this software have been done by "North Indians", so
Indians from other culture, and particularly from the South
Dravidinians cultures, do not share all the options taken there. Also,
it is a bit limited as Sanskrit is concerned. But for "plain" Devanagari
that is quite a good introduction and a good playing toy.

Best regards,
Antoine