Re: Unicode characters in filenames

From: Sebastian Hagedorn (
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 12:33:09 EDT

--On Montag, 17. April 2000 7:55 Uhr -0800 "Vaintroub, Wladislav"
<> wrote:

> Does anybody know of operating systems ( except for Win32 ) that
> support non-ASCII characters in file names?

Note that I'm no expert on this, so my answer may be partially wrong.

The MacOS allows this, but it only uses Unicode for HFS+ volumes. However,
files on HFS volumes can have names in MacOS supported scripts as well.
They are only displayed properly if the required script is installed,
otherwise you see a mess of characters.

Cheers, Sebastian

Sebastian Hagedorn