Re: How to create Unicode input methods for MacOS? (long)

From: Deborah Goldsmith (goldsmith@apple.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 15:07:40 EDT

on 4/18/2000 9:59 AM, Juliusz Chroboczek <jec@dcs.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> The people who know are under NDA, and cannot speak. I know that
> quite a few former NeXT and currently Apple employees are listening to
> this list, and are just dying to tell you.
>
> My guess, however, judging from MacOS X server, would be that you will
> be able to use your current input methods in the ``Blue Box'', the
> MacOS compatibility sandbox. The ``Carbon'' semi-compatibility layer
> should support ATSUI, but I don't know whether you'll be able to use
> your current input methods. As to the native OpenStep-derived
> toolkit, it should be pretty much incompatible with current MacOS, but
> you may expect excellent Unicode and I18N support in it.

As mentioned in an earlier message, if you can use a 'uchr' keyboard instead
of an input method, that is far preferable. 'uchr' keyboards will work on OS
X and OS 9.

If you have an input method which you need to work on OS X, please contact
me in private, off the mailing list. I will make sure you are put in touch
with the correct people inside Apple.

Deborah Goldsmith
Manager, International Toolbox Group
Apple Computer, Inc.