Re: Compressing Vietnamese with SCSU

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 10:21:02 EDT

Linus Toshihiro Tanaka <ttanaka@us.oracle.com> wrote:

> VISCII utilizes some codepoints in 0x00 - 0x1F. Have you checked the
> size in other Vietnamese encoding which doesn't utilize that area?

The example I cited actually doesn't use any of the VISCII code points
below 0x20. Those code points were intentionally allocated to the six
rarest characters in written Vietnamese (capital A's and Y's with
diacritical marks).

But in any case, those six VISCII code points all map to Unicode code
points in the U+1E80 to U+1EFF range, as do many other Vietnamese
characters, so I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California