Serbian/Russian and Japanese/Chinese glyphs

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 10:11:13 EDT

It's interesting that these two related topics have reappeared on the
list at the same time.

To me, the following two statements represent *exactly* the same issue.
Can anyone show that they do not?

1. For some Cyrillic characters, under some circumstances, the glyph
    used in the Serbian script differs from that used in the Russian
    script, and there needs to be a way to display the appropriate glyph
    depending on the language.

2. For some Han characters, under some circumstances, the glyph
    used in the Japanese script differs from that used in the Chinese
    script, and there needs to be a way to display the appropriate glyph
    depending on the language.

Some people feel these issues can only be resolved through separate
encodings; others, like me, feel that they are display issues and should
be solved through other mechanisms (my favorite proposal is to use Plane
14 language tags to tell the rendering engine which glyphs to use). But
I feel they are the *same issue* and should be treated uniformly in any
case.
_____

"Robert A. Rosenberg" <bob.rosenberg@digitscorp.com> wrote:

> In this case the letters [G, D, P, and T] appear only in Russian or
> Serbian [they act differently in the two languages so they can/should
> be considered as different/unique characters]

How do these letters "act differently" in Russian vs. Serbian? Don't
they represent essentially the same phoneme, at least as much as, if not
more than, Latin "J" does in English vs. French vs. Spanish? If the
differences are only in glyph shape, only in italic fonts, then they are
not really different characters. (But I know this sentence does not
convince those who believe they truly are different. :)

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California