RE: ASCII 1.1 released

From: Erland Sommarskog (sommar-unicode@algonet.se)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 18:22:05 EDT

Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com writes:
> Pushing the analysis to the bare bones, one can discover that these Hangul
> Jamos are built with various combinations of 9 consonant letters (k, n, t,
> r, m, p, s, ng, c), 5 vowels (a, e, o, u, i), and 2 diacritics (consonants'
> aspiration, vowel's palatalization). Total: 16; only 14 not counting the
> diacritics.

Hm, didn't you forget h among the consonants?

And I can't for my life make it to five vowels, it must be six
(a, ô, o, u, i, û), or possibly eight (add e and ae) or possibly
only two (i and û). I would however say that you are stretching things
a bit when you call the second small tag to a vertical or horizontal
line a diacritic, but not the first.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, sommar@algonet.se