Indic

From: Michael Everson (everson@egt.ie)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 14:30:45 EDT

Ar 09:17 -0800 2000-05-02, scríobh Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com:

>> I have known atleast the following occurances of the virama
>> as illogical
>> when contructing syllables in Indic:
[...]
>> 2. when it follows a vowel sign
>> 3. when it follows an independent vowel

Actually at least (3.) here is not unknown in some minor Brahmic scripts in
Southeast Asia. I forget which one just now; it might be Cham from Vietnam
or Chakma from Bangladesh. And I have a feeling that I've seen (2.) before.
In due course these will be revealed in various proposals -- so when you
see them, don't be surprised.

Meanwhile, don't assume that writing systems will not do just about
anything their writers found practical for one reason or another. :-)

Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169