RE: Canonical ordering

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 14:47:48 EDT

Jony,

> I would like to take this opportunity to state that the Unicode rendering and placement
> rules are not suitable for Hebrew.

This is a rather extreme and absolutist statement to be making to the list.
Would you care to elaborate a bit on this claim to explain why you take
this position?

> In particular:
>
> The order of the diacritical marks should not affect their rendering.

Correct. But this is, presumably, one of the reasons why all the Hebrew
points got fixed position classes (cf. The Unicode Standard, Version 3.0,
page 81). Whatever order points are entered in the text, their canonical
ordering will be sorted out by the fixed position class assignments. And
a Hebrew rendering process should be savvy to the exact positions of
all points for letters (and what happens when combinations of points and/or
accents are applied to the same letter).

> If you don't know how to render them, or it gets too complicated, or you just don't feel
> like it, just ignore them.

I take it this is a recommendation for default display of Hebrew: that
it is better to leave the points and accents off than to display them
in a garbled way, with their positions on characters not in the
expected and legible positions.

--Ken