Re: Bar code readers

From: Edward Cherlin (
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 15:28:24 EDT

At 21:04 -0800 5/12/2000, David Glick (home) wrote:
>I am interested in finding RF scanners that will scan bar codes and
>display Canji characters, using the UTF-8 encoding. Does anyone know of
>anything of this sort?

Do you mean a packaged system, or components to use with your own software?

You can easily find scanners that translate bar codes to strings of
bytes to pass to a computer. Software to translate UTF-8 to Kanji is
readily available, and so is software to display Kanji.

If you want a packaged system, you will have to ask the
manufacturers. You can make a start in

Edward Cherlin
"A knot!" exclaimed Alice. "Oh, do let me help to undo it."
Alice in Wonderland