Re: COPYLEFT SIGN

From: G. Adam Stanislav (adam@whizkidtech.net)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 21:55:39 EDT

At 12:53 15-05-2000 -0800, Robert Brady wrote:
>On Mon, 15 May 2000, G. Adam Stanislav wrote:
>
>> Personally, I strongly object to the entire idea of the inclusion of this
>> symbol into Unicode. I'd hate to see Unicode become a tool of Stallman's
>> (or anyone else's) personal agenda.
>
>Including the symbol would not make Unicode become such.

But it would set an undesirable precedent. Copyleft represents a software
license agreement. Do we want to go there? Suppose Microsoft designs a
symbol to represent their EULA. If we asign Unicode space to Copyleft, we
will have to assign one to EULA. And to every other company in the world
that will follow the lead.

I don't think Unicode is the place for company logos. If people want to use
the FSF company logo (which is what copyleft is), they should use the
private space.

Adam