Re: COPYLEFT SIGN

From: Michael Everson (everson@egt.ie)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 12:13:36 EDT

Ar 07:29 -0800 2000-05-16, scríobh Robert Brady:

>By the way, can you point me to some free software you wrote? I tried
>looking at some programs on your website, but they all seem to be
>source-available programs with restrictions on use and distributation that
>make then non-free.

If you can use them without paying for them, that makes them free.

What I dislike about GNU is that not only should I let people use my stuff
without paying me for my labour and expertise (and I do have a lot of
software available which have these conditions), but GNU suggests that I
should give my source and secrets away to anyone else, who can modify my
stuff to their hearts content and probably even make money out of it
themselves (though maybe this is forbidden by GNU). I just don't like that.
Egoistic as it may be of me, I consider my software to be, well, mine.

Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169