From: Robert Brady (
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 14:00:24 EDT

On Tue, 16 May 2000, G. Adam Stanislav wrote:

> How successful is this one? I have never seen it. Were you to show it to me
> without telling me what it is, I would not recognize it. What does it look
> like anyway? I am assuming it is the letter 'L' in a circle, but I am not
> sure.

"REVERSED COPYRIGHT SIGN" has been proposed as an alternate name earlier
in this thread. This means that either you don't know what a reversed
copyright sign looks like, or haven't read the thread before commenting.

> I think someone has it reversed here. Not proposing a symbol that is widely
> recognized and used, but a symbol he wants to become widely recognized
> because of its inclusion in Unicode. A personal agenda. Or a marketing ploy.

There is no conspiracy. Fine, oppose it on grounds of 'there is no point',
but I am highly offended by accusations of a personal or political agenda
in supporting the encoding of this character.

> I don't think Unicode should include the symbol for every political party
> in the world, or for every vociferous discontent. Should we include the
> logo of 700 Club? Moral Majority? Soto Gakkai? Metallica? George W. Bush?
> Miami Dolphins? We'd have to go for 64 bits quite soon...

There is enough space in the 31bits to encode many signs for every pop
group and political party ever.