Re: Accents in Greek and in Greek Extended

From: John Cowan (
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 17:02:46 EDT

Nick NICHOLAS wrote:

> Having been brought up on the wedge, I'd rather the tonos and acute be
> kept apart on aesthetic grounds; but I doubt any Unicode 3-compliant font
> out there is differentiating them. (Athena and Code 2000 have the vertical
> line, but they are still on Unicode 2.)

Impossible in principle. One of the rules of Unicode
conformance (in John's Own Version, see the Unicode FAQ) is "Canonical
equivalence matters"; no conformant process is allowed to behave
differently when fed U+1F71 rather than U+03AC. The former has a
canonical mapping to the latter, and is therefore deprecated in favor
of it (it will disappear from normalized text, e.g.)

(Glad to see you here, Nick!)

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <> Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau, || Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)