Glyph sets (Re: WINDOWS WGL CHARACTER SET ???)

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@europe.com)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 07:30:35 EDT

Markus Kuhn wrote:
> If you want to have a "World Glyph List", you'll probably have
> to take full Unicode 3.0 and remove all the compatibility
> characters.

Plus, of course, all the extra glyphs needed for:

- "contextual variants": multiple glyphs representing the same character, depending on the context (surrounding characters, directionality, language, etc.).
- "ligatures" (glyphs representing special sequences of characters).
- "style variants" (e.g. italic, bold, etc.).
- etc.

It has been said many times, however, that such a list is necessarily arbitrary: different implementation may have different sets of glyphs, all equally valid for the desired calligraphic or typographic tradition.

I think, however, that it should be possible to define a *minimal* set of glyphs for the limited goal of *bare readability* for all Unicode's scripts.

This has been discussed a lot of times, directly or indirectly, but I always like reading more opinions about this idea.

_ Marco
FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com