RE: Digit names; hex characters?

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@europe.com)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 10:46:14 EDT

Robert Lozyniak wrote:
>Why is "1" called simply "DIGIT ONE" instead of "EUROPEAN DIGIT
>ONE" or "LATIN DIGIT ONE" [...]

Perhaps because the digits used in Europe are actually called "Arabic digits". But if they named U+0030 "ARABIC DIGIT ONE", there would have been a confusion with the digits used in Arabic countries. The latter digits, by the way, are actually called "Hindi digits". But if they named them U+0661 "HINDI DIGIT ONE" (the actual Unicode name is "ARABIC-INDIC DIGIT ONE"), there would have been a confusion with U+0967, which is actually named "DEVANAGARI DIGIT ONE" in Unicode.

>I hear that it is possible to get a digital watch with Arabic
>language figures.

Of course! All the digital watches I've ever seen use the good old Arabic digits. :-)

However, I also have an Arabic *digital* watch that displays Hindi digits. BTW, the hands do not turn counter-clockwise, to my great disappointment.

_ Marco
FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com