Re: Condrabindu

From: Martin Heijdra (mheijdra@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 10:41:02 EDT

Just FYI:

Actually, the candrabindu U+0310 is used also and even more frequently
outside Latin transliteration of Indic scripts, a fact I learned to my
dismay as a lost a bet. It is used in standard LC transliteration for
Cyrillic Azerbaijani, Aisor, Komi, Yakut (over the i), Khanty-Kazym and
Khanty-Vakh (over the a), in Kalmyk (over a, o, u), and, believe it or
not, over the h in Kabardian.

In the LC MUMS diacritic table, the order of frequencies is:

small i-candrabindu (Azerbaijani) 2938
small m-c. (Indian lgs.) 1754
small n-c. (Indian lgs.) 989
capital i-c. (Azerbaijani) 230
small a-c. (Kalmyk?) 13
small u-c. (Kalmyk?) 9

(some of the remainder are as likely to be mistakes as anything else (j,
l. g occur.))

Martin

--
Martin Heijdra