Re: French encoding [Was: Chapter on character sets]

Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 16:44:26 EDT

Alain LaBonté <> wrote:
> [Alain] The idea behind standardizing Latin-9 was to serve as a standard
interchange between all 8-bit-character-set-capable-only platforms so as to
support the EURO sign, and French and Finnish integrally.

The requirement for Euro was definitely very important, but as I remember
the discussions, it was only with very great difficulty that any examples
of Finnish text was produced. Much of the impetus for this was also a
desire by some people to replace Latin-1 with what was audaciously called
"Latin-zero". I'm thankful that that never happened - I can only guess at
the mess that would have resulted.

> it has been generated automatically for a while in data by WinWord (with
the Canadian keyboard I type it dicrectly myself).
Ah - now you've hit the nail on the head. What on earth was wrong with
Unicode? For that is what WinWord uses to encode your favorite characters.