Re: Linguistic precedence [was: (TC304.2313)

From: Michael Everson (everson@egt.ie)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 05:36:34 EDT

Ar 10:43 +0200 2000-06-19, scríobh Antoine Leca:
>Michael Everson wrote:
>>
>> Note that the short native term in each of these languages is 'Gaelic', not
>> "Éireannach", "Albanach", or "Manninagh". In Belfast English, it is common
>> for Irish speakers to call the language "Gaelic" and not "Irish".
>
>In France, sometimes Breton (Brezoneg, sorry if I mispell) is designated as

I've never seen Breton (Brezhoneg) described this way. The three Gaelic
languages are the three I described earlier; all three of those derive from
the Old Irish language. The other three Celtic languages are Welsh,
Cornish, and Breton, which are Brittonic, not Goidelic languages.

Michael Everson
Translator of Roparz Hemon's Breton Grammar http://www.egt.ie/gram/bg.html
Editor of N. J. A. Williams' English-Cornish Dictionary
http://www.egt.ie/gram/ecd.html