Re: C # character model

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 14:20:41 EDT

John O'Conner wrote:

> Anyone notice the new product from MS called C# (C-sharp)? It is a
> Java-like language...appears to be the Java-like product available via
> J++ a while back. I noticed its character specs. A char is a 16-bit
> Unicode code point...no UTF-32, no 32-bit Unicode value.

They're probably sticking to 16-bit units for binary compatibility with
existing libraries. See the "Common Language Runtime" stuff in the
following:

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2154069.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni

UTF-16 is somewhat harder to use than UTF-32, but it does save some
memory...

Erik