Re: Plane 14 language tags

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 12:11:17 EDT

Michael Everson wrote:

> It seems to me that the Plane 14 tags shouldn't have both uppercase and
> lowercase if you aren't going to let people use the uppercase.

It was decided to create a tag analogue of every ASCII character.

> (It seems to me that the Plane 14 tags were a very silly idea, but oh well.)

Part of the IETF was insisting that they had to have language tags in plain
text as a substitute for (ab)using ISO 2022 for language tagging (as they
had been doing before: if it's JIS-encoded, it *must* be Japanese), and were
proposing an obnoxious modification of UTF-8 to carry the language information.

Plane 14 was a prophylactic spell.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || http://www.reutershealth.com Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau, || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)