Re: Euro character in ISO

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine.Leca@renault.fr)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 08:29:32 EDT

Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:

> At 15:30 -0800 on 07/11/00, Asmus Freytag wrote about Re: Euro
> character in ISO:
>
> >There has been an attempt to create a series of 'touched up' 8859
> >standards. The problem with these is that you get all the issues of
> >character set confusion that abound today with e.g. Windows CP 1252
> >mistaken for 8895-1 with a vengeance:
>
> The problem would go away if the ISO would get their heads out of
> their a$$ and drop the C1 junk from the NEW 'TOUCHED UP" 8859s and
> put the CP125x codes there.

Sorry. It may work for CP1252/iso-8859-1, and CP1254/iso-8859-9,
but won't for the others. Since Windows starts with the same letter as
Word --or is the reason that they both come from the same company.
No! I cannot believe that-- there are a couple of requirements
that makes effectively the "other" codepages slighty incompatible,
such as the necessary presence for · at position B5 (because this
is the character Word uses when you ask it to "display" the spaces,
and this is hard-coded in the product).

> Then when you said you used 8859-21 you'd get CP-1252 and Windows
> would no longer need to lie (or tell the truth by admitting it is
> CP-1252).

Even if 8859-21 is defined to be exactly the same as some stage of
CP1252, and everyone in the standardization community admits this
as such, habits are so much entrenched, and love against Microsoft
so rare in the Unix world, that you may bet a lot that such a
standard will never gain wide acceptance.

Furthermore, this is completely unnecessary, as nowadays such
a standard exists, and it is used to be called 'charset=windows-1252'...

The real problem is that:
- Windows browsers/MAs did not know that until 1999 (as it seems)
- Windows HTML-tools/MAs are reluctant to add the test for presence
of non-Latin1 characters to either tag as iso-8859-1 or
windows-1252. Apparently they are too lazy (because they already
did such a test for ASCII).
Well, I am angry, because probably nowadays browsers do the job correctly.

Antoine