Re: C1 controls and terminals (was: Re: Euro character in ISO)

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@columbia.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 14:19:28 EDT

> Frank da Cruz wrote:
> >
> > Yes, but I was thinking more about the ISO 2022 invocation features than
> > the designation ones: LS2, LS3, LS1R, LS2R, LS3R, SS2, and SS3 are C1
> > controls. The situation *could* arise where these would be used prior to
> > announcing (or switching to) UTF-8. In this case, the end-user would have
> > to configure the software in advance to know whether the incoming byte
> > stream is UTF-8.
>
> Shouldn't the UTF-8 segment switch back to ISO 2022 before invoking any
> of those C1 controls? This way, the decoder wouldn't have to know UTF-8,
> and could skip over it reliably.

That could work, but it seems kind of gross -- a lot of overhead, for say,
a Single-Shift-Three. Anyway, I think we've beat this one to death.
Chances are fairly slim that anybody will be implementing host-based systems
that use ISO 2022 to switch back and forth between UTF-8 and something else.
If you can have a session in UTF-8 you don't *need* anything else, right? :-)

- Frank