Re: What is the difference between i18n and l10n?

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 13:33:55 EDT

Well, I hate to think of it that way.... since you can create localized
applications that may not behave well. To use Cassie's analogy... you can
have people who make themselves at home yet are kind of offensive to have
around?

They are intimately related, though. Its fair to say that a properly
internationalized application has taken must of the work and pain out of
localization (since case has been put into respecting cultural conventions
and avoiding offending people on a locale). Its also fair to say that a
properly localized application should be a superset of a properly
internationalized application.

Unfortunately there is that gray area that happens when one or the other is
not done as well as ought to be.

michka