Re: Locale string for Norwegian - Bokmal and Nynorsk?

From: addison@inter-locale.com
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 12:38:46 EDT

Hi Paul,

The POSIX standard locale string (which the Accept-Language http header
is modelled after) would classify Bokmal and Nynorsk as "variants", so the
correct locale strings would be something like:

no@bokmal or no_NO@bokmal
no@nynorsk or no_NO@nynorsk

Java treats "bokmal" as standard (no, no_NO) and "nynorsk" as a variant
(no_NO_NY).

This is a weakness of the locale model used on the Web and most UNIX
systems: the hierarchy is based on the ISO 639 language codes and the ISO
3166 country codes. It doesn't cover such minutiae as
"inside-a-country" variation easily nor does it deal well with subtle
issues like this.

In point of fact, this affects only the LC_COLLATE aspect of the POSIX
locale model, something that few web servers can probably do anything with
at this point.

I should note that many Norwegians use U.S. English versions of software
(especially if they are using Netscape as their browser) and they may not
bother to set the Accept-Language settings anyway.

Hope this helps,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips Principal Consultant
Inter-Locale LLC http://www.inter-locale.com
Los Gatos, CA, USA mailto:addison@inter-locale.com

+1 408.210.3569 (mobile) +1 408.904.4762 (fax)
Globalization Engineering & Consulting Services