[OT] Re: Same language, two locales

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@compuserve.com)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 21:02:18 EDT

Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld@dkuug.dk> wrote:

> You can always extend the POSIX syntax yourself.

This is good, because it *must* be extended to handle any set of
preferences for which the OS vendor did not predefine a locale.

> Anyway the problem with the Euro is taken care of in DTR 14652.
> And it can automatically update itself to EUR on 2002-07-01,
> or whenever.

I don't know anything about DTR 14652, but if it solves this particular
problem, it's a good thing. Thank you for correcting me on the Euro
cutover date.

> You can just take another locale with these values and set then as
> your LC_TIME value. They are readily available eg on linux systems.
> As said, the POSIX/C locale model is extensible.
> Anyway I do not think I can make my own locales under Windows?
> You can do this under some POSIX systems, eg Linux, and it is all
> documented in open standards.

That's similar to what I do in Windows. I start out in Control Panel
as "English (United States)" and then make adjustments to suit my local
adjustments.

Please understand, under NO circumstances am I comparing the POSIX
approach to the Windows approach or saying Windows has it right, POSIX
has it wrong. All I am saying is that users who speak English and live
in the United States may have different preferences that "en_US" does
not account for. "LCID 0x0409" does not account for them, either.

> I think that none of your examples warrant your harsh original
> comments.

I didn't intend my comments to be harsh, but I apologize to POSIX
aficionados if they came out that way. Please disregard the sentence
that begins "It is widely regarded as inadequate..." in my original
posting. Other than that and the premature use of "ISO 639-1" to mean
"ISO 639 two-letter codes," I stand by the rest of what I wrote.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California