Re: more questions on Lakota

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 00:18:40 EDT

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Curtis Clark wrote:

> 1. The glottal stop has been rendered as both U+0027 (perhaps a typewriter
> version of what is now U+02BC) and U+02C0. I get the impression that U+0027
> is more common, but it makes more sense to me to use U+02C0. But I
> understand that, although it is outside the scope of Unicode, IPA glyph
> shapes are normative, so a glyph variant of U+02C0 that looked like U+0027
> would probably be Not a Good Thing. Should I go with U+02BC?

The distinct between an IPA-style glottal stop and an apostrophe-shaped
glottal stop is a question of Lakhota orthography, and as such is outside
Unicode's scope. Use U+02BC for the former, U+02C0 for the latter,
since they are both letters.

> 2. Vowels are nasalized with what appears to be a superscript Greek lower
> case "eta". I assume that using U+03B7 is not a good idea. I may have
> overlooked "LATIN SMALL LETTER SUPERSCRIPT ETA" or some such; if not, what
> is a good alternative approach?

Without seeing the text, I can't be sure, but I suspect what you have
is a superscript U+014B, LATIN SMALL LETTER ENG. Is this letter
used otherwise in the orthography? If not, you could use U+014B and
an appropriate font. If so, consider applying for a new Modifier
Letter, and use a Private Zone codepoint in the meantime.

"[O]n the whole I'd rather make love than shoot guns [...]"
	--Eric Raymond