Re: Unicode on a non-Unicode web page

From: Herman Ranes (herman@iet.hist.no)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 11:28:39 EDT

"Gary P. Grosso" skreiv:

> Hi Unicoders,
>

> Is there some way I can nudge Netscape's browser to display these?

An amateur's explanation of what can be done to make the HTML code
'understandable' to Netscape Navigator 4, without actually encoding in
UTF-8:

-Meta tag the document as UTF-8

-Encode characters beyond U+00FF as decimal NCRs (è). [Entities
(è) can also be used in characters for which they are defined.]
Be aware that hexadecimal NCRs (è) will not work.

-Herman

--
Herman Ranes                  Høgskolen i Sør-Trøndelag
                              Avdeling for teknologi