Re: Ligatured characters

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sina.sharif.ac.ir)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 08:08:37 EDT

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Otto Stolz wrote:

> I have re-read section "Controlling Ligatures", in TUC 3.0, p. 318.
> Now, I interpret the wording, and fig. 13-2, so that I would have to
> code, e. g., German "Auflage"
> as "A" "u" "f" ZWJ ZWNJ ZWJ "l" "a" "g" "e":
> the ZWNJ to forbid the incorrect f-l ligature, and the two ZWJs
> to provide the correct cursive connectivity, just in case my text
> would be rendered with a cursive font. Is this correct?

This sequence, ZWJ ZWNJ ZWJ, really worries me. In the Arabic script, my
interest, this is always the case. The ZWNJ is not enough in any case,
since it disconnects the letters.

And this also means some change in many simple rendering programs that use
other algorithms for cursive joining whose output was the same before the
introduction of these. If only ZWL and ZWNL survived...

--roozbeh