Re: [OT] Re: the Ethnologue

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 16:53:31 EDT

Most seem to be okay with the addition of the country/region tag from
ISO-3166 for determing the difference between languages spoken in several
places -- this is usually what is done for English, Arabic, Portuguese,
French, and Chinese, as well.

Under Windows, they just tack on a new sublanguage to create a new LCID...
Spanish, English, and Arabic seem to be duking it out for the largest number
of ones accepted from release to release -- although they are missing a lot
of languages and dialects, on purpose, as well.

I only have a few friends in Spain.... none of them were offended at those
who would refer to Spanish as espaņol, but none of them were terribly
pleased with referring to Mexican Spanish as Castilian, either. I think it
may be similar to the French vs. Canadian French issue, just with less
emotion behind it.

michka

a new book on internationalization in VB at
http://www.i18nWithVB.com/