Re: [idn] nameprep forbidden characters

From: Mark H. David (mhd@world.std.com)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 12:19:26 EDT

>From: "Martin J. Duerst" <duerst@w3.org>
> However, that doesn't mean that the best solution is to ignore points
> on the client side. For example, Yiddish uses pointed letters in quite
> a bit a different way; they cannot be ignored. The same may apply to
> other languages written with the Hebrew script. There may also be cases
> where a point can indeed make a difference.

The points can and should be ignored for Internet domain name resolution.
They cannot be ignored in all cases for all Hebrew-script
applications anyone can come up with now or in the future, either
for Hebrew or Yiddish or Ladino or whatever. Similarly, Letter case cannot
be ignored for Latin-script languages either in every application possible. But I feel
as a Yiddish expert that they can and should be ignored for the application
in question, Internet domain name resolution. I claim this applies very
much to Ladino, though I can't claim expertise in that language, only superficial
knowledge. Other Jewish languages (using Hebrew script) are archaic and
are not in use, or hardly in use, by living speakers.