RE: Unicode on a website

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2000 - 01:43:30 EDT

David,

SCSU is a character stream compression technique not exactly a character
encoding scheme. I don't think that it would do for get method forms to
just add the scsu block to the end of the URL. "Yes but that is my
charset". Certainly not when they are trying to standardize on UTF-8 at
least the basic info.

scsu makes sense for large blocks of data. Send the frame work in utf-8 but
use HTTP to request the bulk data in scsu. If it is a small amount of data
you don't want to pay the overhead of the compression.

You don't need a BOM with UTF-8.

Carl