Re: Cyrillic -

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov (uwe@ptc.spbu.ru)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 19:17:10 EDT

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 14:10:38 -0800, John Cowan wrote:

> > Unicode lacks support for "letter titlo" (i.e. titlo with a letter)
> > used quite productively in OCS (in Russia at least), so you can't use
> > Unicode to write "The Lord" (with "slovo-titlo") or "The Gospel" (with
> > "glagol-titlo").
>
> Not so. U+0483 is COMBINING CYRILLIC TITLO, which may be placed after
> any letter to generate a letter-titlo.

I only thought about this possible misinterpretation of "letter titlo"
after my letter was sent. "Letter titlo" is not a letter with
(combining) titlo above. It's a special sort of titlo with a small
letter underneath it and the whole thing acts like a combining mark.
I'm don't know what is the correct/established English term is,
perhaps "letterized titlo" should convey the idea.

See my previous email for the URL of an Old Church Slavonic ABC book
for the pictures.

> What is genuinely missing is IOTIFIED A. Because LITTLE YUS and
> IOTIFIED A fell together in Russian as /ja/, Peter eliminated the
> latter and adopted a modified form of LITTLE YUS, now CYRILLIC
> LETTER YA.

But aren't IOTIFIED A and YA just glyph variants (with LITTLE YUS
lacking a parallel glyph in Peter's civil alphabet, merging with YA
instead).

SY, Uwe