http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/winbase/unicode_192r.htm

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 14:17:19 EDT

Am 2000-10-03 um 23:03 h UCT hat Carl W. Brown geschrieben:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/winbase/unicode_192r.htm
..
> explains how to turn on surrogates for W2K and some of the Open Type issues.

Dear Sir or Madam,

your "Surrogates" page, built on Monday, August 14, 2000, could be
more helpful if you had chosen more lucid terminology. You write, e. g.:
> A surrogate or surrogate pair is a pair of 16-bit Unicode characters
> that represent a single character or glyph.

What you mean by "16-bit Unicode characters" actually are not Unicode
characters, but rather encoding-units in UTF-16 encoding. What you mean
by "a single character or glyph" is actually a Unicode scalar value,
aka Unicode character. Using "character" for both terms is perceived as
extraordinaryly misleading by me, and probably by more readers.

Please try to rephrase your page using a clearer terminology. Probably,
it would be a good idea to mention UTF-16 encoding, in the 1st paragraph.

Cf. <http://www.unicode.org/unicode/faq/utf_bom.html#5> for the
basic facts, and terminology, related to UTF-16.

Thank you,
   Otto Stolz