Re: Clarification of Arabic joining classes

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sina.sharif.ac.ir)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 06:20:56 EDT

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

> However, I think it is safe to say that:
>
> FEFF;ZERO WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE;Cf;0;BN;;;;;N;BYTE ORDER MARK;;;;
>
> should also be considered Transparent, rather than Non-joining or
> Join-causing. Despite its name, the ZWNBSP is *not* a space character.
> It can be used to indicate the lack of a break opportunity in
> a word, but that is orthogonal to any consideration of cursive
> joining.

It's somehow weird for me, and if it were me, I would have considered it
non-joining. Why would it appear between two letters that would otherwise
join? Arabic cannot be broken between the joining letters.

> I agree that there is some ambiguity in the text here, which should
> be addressed in the next edition of the standard.

1. What about adding the info to ArabicShaping.txt in 3.0.2 for example?
2. What should conformant implementations do before that? Do whatever they
want?