Re: Fw: Normative vs Informative

From: Mark Davis/Cupertino/IBM (mark.davis@us.ibm.com)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 17:29:22 EST

Certainly. I hadn't realized that you were not on the original list. What I
received was the following. (I don't have the chapter and verse to go with
it).

3.4
normative elements
those elements setting out the provisions to which it is necessary to
conform in order to be able to claim compliance with the standard
3.5 informative elements
3.5.1
preliminary elements
those elements that identify the standard, introduce its content and
explain
its background, its development and its relationship with other standards
3.5.2
supplementary elements
those elements that provide additional information intended to assist the
understanding or use of the standard
3.6
required element
element the presence of which in a standard is obligatory
3.7
optional element
element the presence of which in a standard is dependent on the provisions
of the particular standard
3.8
provision
expression in the content of a normative document, that takes the form of a
statement, an instruction, a recommendation or a requirement
NOTE These types of provision are distinguished by the form of wording
they employ; e.g. instructions are expressed in the imperative mood,
recommendations by the use of the auxiliary "should" and requirements by
the
use of the auxiliary "shall".
[ISO/IEC Guide 2:1996, definition 7.1]

Mark